Our goal is to secure your first line of defense when it comes to the elements. Water, in whatever form, (rain, snow, sleet, or hail), has a way of piercing any weaknesses in a roofing system. It is our goal to not only install roofs that will stand up to the wear and tear that mother nature brings year after year, but to also assist when water penetration occurs.
While many roofs leaks are simple to repair, determining the source of the leak is often the more difficult task. When customers identify a drip in their ceiling, they often assume that the leak is originating above the leakage point, however, a leak can be traveling down a rafter or can even be the accumulation of condensation. For example, it is common for plumbing and AC leaks to be misdiagnosed as roof leaks. It can be tricky to find the source.
Roof leaks can be caused by any number of things. Once you familiarize yourself with the potential causes of leaks, you may be able to determine the source through process of elimination. If not, you can always contact our office for assistance. Here are a few of the main sources of roof leaks:
- Missing, cracked or loose shingles, tiles, or seams
- Damaged or deteriorated flashing, seals, and caulking
- Improper attic ventilation, which can cause moisture through a buildup of condensation
- Improper installation of valleys, flashing, shingles, collars, etc.
- Ice Dams, which prevent proper run off and force water to back up beneath shingles
- Ponding water
- Exposed nail heads
- Skylight flashings
- Wind driven rain
- Built up debris, which can trap moisture and accelerate deterioration
Be sure to call your local roofing experts at Reynolds Roofing Exteriors & Coating to help you identify the issue and take care of it! Get in touch with us today for you free roofing estimate!